Click Here To Open A Credit Account
September Recipe of the Month
500g minced lamb
500g potatoes, cut into chunks
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, diced
1 celery, diced
1 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
150 ml beef stock
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
5 tbsp milk
1.Heat the oil in a large pan, add onion, carrots and celery then cook for a few minutes over a medium heat until the vegetables become soft. Set vegetables aside.
2. Add the mince to the hot pan and cook until the mince has turned brown. Then add back the sautéd carrots, celery and onions, plus the stock, Worcester sauce and tomato puree. Cover with a lid and simmer for 30 mins, adding water so the mince does not burn, and giving it a stir every now and then.
3. As the mince is cooking, use a separate medium-sized saucepan to cook the potatoes. Cut them into chunks and put them in the pan. Cover them with water, bring to the boil then simmer for about 20 minutes until they are cooked. Drain off excess water.
4. While the potatoes are cooking, pour milk into a small pan and heat gently over a low heat. Mash the potatoes in the medium pan and add the warmed milk plus butter, salt and pepper. Churn the mashed potato ad ingredient mixture until the potato is fluffy and smooth.
5. Transfer the mince to an oven-proof dish then spoon the mashed potato evenly over the top, so the mince is covered. Create your own pattern – stripes, diagonals, swirls – on the surface of the mashed potato.
6. Bake in an oven, gas mark 5, 190°C, fan 170°C for about half an hour. The potato should look crisp and golden on top, and the mince should be bubbling underneath. Remove, then serve with peas, salad or other vegetables.
Leave a comment