According to the Chinese Zodiac, 2023 is the Year of the Rabbit. Our recipe of the month - Egg Fried Rice - stands alone or goes with most things, tasting good at any time.
- 250g long-grain or Jasmine rice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Optional – peas, prawns, chicken broccoli, other vegetables
- Boil the rice as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Rinse with cold water then use a spoon or spatula to spread the grains into a large bowl. Leave to cool/dry.
- In a separate dish, crack the eggs and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- In a large wok, heat 1 tbsp of oil over a medium heat. Add the diced onion and garlic and fry for around 5 minutes until lightly browned. Option at this stage to add in other vegetables (like peas), chicken or prawns according to personal preference. Follow pack cooking and safety instructions for any optional ingredients selected.
- Add the cooled rice to the wok with the vegetables. Pour in a little more oil and cook on a high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Move the hot rice mixture to the side of the bowl, add the egg mixture and blend in with the rice.
- Turn the heat down slightly then pour in sesame oil and soy sauce. Stir in vigorously and evenly until all is absorbed into rice.
- Turn off the heat. Serve plain or as an accompaniment to other Chinese main courses.