Our Treacle Tart recipe is a sweet treat that will bring joy to your taste buds.
- 175g plain flour
- 150g salted butter
- 25g lard
- 4 eggs
- 325g golden syrup
- 50g black treacle
- 2 lemons (for zest and juice)
- 175ml double cream
- Clotted cream or ice cream
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, lard and 75g of butter. Rub the lard and butter into the flour with your fingers until you get a coarse crumb-like consistency. Stir in the yolk of one egg plus a tablespoon of water to turn it into a soft dough. Put this on a flat work surface. and knead lightly until smooth then wrap in clingfilm to maintain moisture.
- Preheat oven to 22 degrees/gas mark 6. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and line a tart tin to make a pastry case. Trim off the excess and line the pastry case with greaseproof paper. Fill with baking beans then bake for 20 minutes. Remove the beans and paper and bake for a further 5 minutes before removing from the oven.
- Add the syrup, treacle, 75g of butter, lemon zest and juice to a saucepan. Heat gently until the butter has melted and syrups have softened.
- Beat three eggs in a bowl with the double cream, then add in the syrup mixture. Stir well, then strain through a sieve into the pastry case.
- Bake for about 40 minutes at 160 degrees/gas mark 3 or until the mix is firm but still soft in the centre. Cool for 15 minutes. Serve with clotted cream or vanilla ice cream.